At the end of February 2015, Google finally turned off their API V1 for Google Product Feed in the Google Merchant Center. Product listings on Google AdWords often have a good return on investment for our clients, which a higher conversion rate and a lower cost per click from a less crowded set of bidders. The only downside was that for some platforms it often takes a little longer to set up.
Magento has the ability to push products to Google’s product feed built in. However, it’s not a straightforward process, which is why there is a plethora of plugins available to do the same. But once set up correctly, Magento’s built in process would manage the products well, pushing updates to merchant center and allowing customisation of the feed. So, here comes the issue, Magento uses API 1. Eek!
For shop managers looking to continue to use the Magento method of updating products, without paying for a plugin, Mehul Chaudhari has released an opensource plugin based on the original Magento GoogleShopping module (thanks Mehul!). It uses OAuth2 and to make the connection a Google Developer Project has to be created. This is a quick and simple process, and you can download the module here
How To Use
This module uses Google OAuth2 a ClientId and ClientSecret for Google Content API. This can be generated easily here.
- Head over to Google Developers Console (here) and log in or create an account
- Create a new Project with the name Magento-GoogleShoppingApi and the project ID will be automatically generated.
- After the project is created go to “APIs & auth” and select “APIs”. Look for the “Content API for Shopping” and enable it.
- You now need a Client ID. Go to “APIs & auth” then “Credentials” and click “Create new Client ID”.
- This will be a “Web application”, so click that box and complete the boxes “Email Address” and “Product Name”. Click “Save”.
- In the next step the shop backend data has to be enterend
This will now show you your API credentials. You’ll need your Client ID and your Client Secret for the next step.
After installing the module you’ll find the settings in the Admin, under System > Configuration > Weboffice Modules > GoogleShoppingApi.
You’ll need to enter these details:
- Account-ID: GoogleShopping Merchant ID
- Google Developer Project Client ID: Your Client ID which was created in Step 1
- Google Developer Project Client Secret: Your Client Secret which was created in Step 1
- Target Country: The country for the product feed
- Whether you want to automatically update Google Shopping Item when a product is Updated
- Whether to renew not listed items
- If a product should be added to GoogleShopping if it is synced but not added.
- If you wish to remove disabled items
- Whether to remove out of stock items from GoogleShopping
- Debug. Yes if you’re having difficulty, otherwise no.
- Destinations as required. If you’re unsure, leave them as default.
Next you may need to configure your products. When viewing your product you’ll see a new side tab called Google Shopping. Here you can set the category from the Google Shopping Taxonomy.
From this point you’ll be in familiar territory and can set up the product feed as before. The plugin works just like the old Magento Module.